Source: UPI

Veterinarians in Maryland recently performed surgery on a rat snake after it swallowed a gear shift knob, mistaking it for food. The snake was brought to the Second Chance Wildlife Center with an unidentified object in its stomach. This situation isn’t uncommon for rat snakes, which often mistake foreign objects like golf balls or decoy eggs for food.

The surgery revealed that the object had been trapped in the snake’s stomach for so long that it caused a hole in its skin. The veterinarians successfully removed the gear shift knob from the snake’s stomach. Fortunately, the snake has fully recovered and will be released back into the wild in the spring. This incident highlights the importance of wildlife centers in providing care for animals in need.

Read the full story HERE: